Link to Smartsy and Artsy Store

Check out our Teachers Pay Teachers Store here!  Smartsy and Artsy

Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Favorite Times, Choose Home

Today has been a great day.  It started out with a long list of items to do.  Laundry, groceries, bookstore for church supplies, new shoes for the baby, drop daughter off at birthday party, more laundry, you get the idea. 

But this day ended in my favorite of all ways.  My husband, three kids, and I spent the evening in the crowded living room of our tiny house in middle Georgia.  Husband and son were engrossed in the Spiderman 3 movie, discussing the implications of sin (Venom's costume) and how it takes over your life.  My daughter was busy telling me about the latest Studio Ghibli movie she watched.  The baby and I were on the floor exploring the new booster seat he just tried out today.

Pure Heaven.  Simply bliss.  In the great wide universe, there's no place I'd rather be.   

I've had several book ideas floating around in my head these past few years.  One of them is titled Choose Home.  What I've discovered in the past few years is that the whole world wants a piece of you.  This club only meets once a month, plus subcommittee meetings.  This practice only happens twice a week, plus one or two games.  Doctor's appointments.  Grocery stores.  It doesn't end.  

I'm not a recluse.  I love having dinner with friends and I sure love taking the kids out to the theater, zoo, or anything!  I just worry because it seems we're becoming a nation of families who don't really know one another.  I want my kids to have friends and socialize, but I want them to know me and their daddy, too.  I want them to hear our stories, our history, our thoughts about politics, religion, and education. 

I don't get to have them very long.  Eighteen or twenty years at the most.  Sounds like a lot of time, but it's not!  And the world is pecking away at those precious years, like birds snatching a couple of pieces of seeds at a time.  Just an hour.  Just one day.  Just a couple of nights.  It adds up.  We can't avoid all the distractions of this world, but every night is a choice.  Choose wisely.  Choose home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment